The Star, May 11, 1999
Chua says it again: It's over
But surveillance to go on
KUALA LUMPUR: The Health Ministry will continue active case surveillance even though the World Health Organisation declared the viral encephalitis outbreak which killed at least 100 people as "virtually over".
Minister Datuk Chua Jui Meng said there were 13 discharges, one admission and no deaths in the last 18 days.
"Precautionary measures must continue to ensure the outbreak is completely over," he said after presenting ISO 9002 certificate to Faber Mediserve Sdn Bhd here yesterday.
The Nipah virus which was first discovered in March and Japanese Encephalitis virus were the cause of the outbreak in Perak, Negri Sembilan and Selangor and subsequently crippled the pig industry.
Nipah virus was also discovered in pigs in Johor end of last month.
Chua said the testing of pigs would continue to ensure the pig population was free of the virus.